FY 2020 - 2021 Goals & Objectives
Lancaster is a thriving and diverse community where we value our historical assets and natural beauty. Residents and stakeholders are engaged and take pride in this City. Lancaster is the Shining Star of Texas with opportunities to live, learn, work and play.
Lancaster City government is financially sustainable and provides efficient customer-friendly services. Our citizens have trust and confidence in city government and leaders.
Financially Sound Government:
The City has a long-range financial plan and prudent fiscal policies and processes. Appropriate reserve levels and a competitive tax rate ensure that the City has funds available to address the needs of the community and responsibly manage its debt.
- Prudent fiscal policies and processes
- Maintain appropriate reserve levels
- Competitive tax rate
The City encourages high quality, diverse housing, commercial and retail development and public facilities. Policies encourage sustainable building practices, conservation and the use of alternative energy sources.
- Continue revitalization incentives for commercial and retail centers
- Review the 2016 Comprehensive Plan for updates/revisions
- Continue Economic Development Strategic Plan Incentive Policy Update; Retail Recruitment
- Evaluate strategies to attract low density, high-quality single family residential development
- Continue revitalization of Downtown- Downtown TIF
Healthy, Safe & Engaged Community:
Lancaster is a place where we embrace public safety and compassionate enforcement in our neighborhoods to sustain vibrant residential and business communities. The community celebrates unity and participates in citywide events, recreational and cultural activities. Residents have opportunities for involvement in civic life through boards and commissions, youth and parent volunteer opportunities in recreation, sports teams, City elections, and Civic Academies, Schools and Citywide celebrations.
- Continue the Business Retention and Expansion Program (BREP)
Professional & Committed City Workforce:
Lancaster City Government is an employer of choice with competitive pay that attracts an engaged, responsive, customer-oriented, innovative, and effective workforce. Some employees live in the City and all have a sense of ownership for the community. City employees feel needed and appreciated by elected officials, residents, and businesses. Employees are respectful and appreciative of their customers and the City's governing body. The City's Executive Staff is engaged with residents and attends community events, upholds strong customer service, and uses technology to aid them in working smarter.
- Continue annual City Council Strategic planning and team building exercises
- Review specialty incentive pay program
- Evaluate compensation to address compression
- Continue Lancaster University
The City has preventative maintenance programs to ensure well-maintained infrastructure, including streets, water, stormwater, wastewater and other assets.
- Update Planning Design Criterial Manual
- Complete Airport terminal construction
Effective Municipal Operations:
The City delivers financially sustainable quality services utilizing delivery methods that engage residents to take pride in our city.
- Hold biannual Council Strategic Planning Sessions