Eligibility for Driver Safety Course
If you are charged with a traffic offense, you may be eligible to have your citation dismissed by taking a Driving Safety Course (DSC). You are allowed to take a DSC once a year for a ticket dismissal for most moving violations,
- Speeding 25 mph or more above the posted speed limit
- Leaving the scene of a collision
- Passing a school bus
- Any moving violation in a construction zone with workers present
- Must not have taken a driving safety course for a dismissal within 12 months from the date of the offense
- Must not be currently taking the course for another traffic offense
- Must not have a commercial driver’s license
- Complete an affidavit form provided by us
- Pay court costs ($109.10 for most violations)
- Present a valid Texas driver's license
- Show proof of financial responsibility (liability insurance)
Class completion time and follow up
If you are eligible and meet all the requirements you will be granted 90 days to:
- Complete a driving safety course that has been approved by the Texas Education Agency. You may choose either a traditional classroom training course or an online course. Both are 6 hour classes.
- Present your certificate of completion to the court.
Allow up to 2 weeks for DPS to mail
the certificate to you upon completion of the course.
- Present a certified copy of your driving record. Be sure to request
3A Certifiedfrom the Department of Public Safety. You may immediately print the record.